Burmeisters is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information of our customers and other data subjects. The information you share with Burmeisters as a customer or data subject allows us to provide you with the best possible experience of our products and services.
It is important that you take all necessary and appropriate steps to protect your data yourself (for example, by ensuring that all passwords and access codes are kept secure).
Burmeisters has dedicated policies and procedures in place to protect all personal information collected and processed by us.
The personal information we may collect from you includes but may not be limited to your Name, Surname, Identification Number, physical address, email address and telephone number.
Collection of data
Personal data may either be collected directly from you, as data subject, or it may be collected from other sources such as:
- Through credit checks.
- Through the use internet usage analytics provided by third parties.
- Through your employing company.
Where information is not collected directly from you as a data subject, we will take reasonable steps to inform you of the fact that the information was collected and will be processed.
You must not send us personal information about someone else without first getting his or her consent for it to be used and disclosed in the ways set out in this terms and conditions. This is because we will assume he or she has consented although we may still ask for confirmation from them. Where you do give us information about someone else, or someone else discloses a connection with you, that information may be taken into account with your other personal information.
Burmeisters will keep your personal information confidential at all times, however, you agree and consent that Burmeisters may:
- Communicate with you electronically in relation with the service or product being provided (email, fax, telephone or through any other relevant or secured electronic platform)
- Obtain any relevant personal information, from any person or institution, necessary to comply with the agreement between you and Burmeisters.
- Obtain credit information from any person or institution where necessary.
- Verify the information provided herein and to contact other third party for purposes of the same.
- Disclose personal information to regulatory or government agencies in accordance with the relevant legislation or directive.
- Use personal information to market new or other products of the company which may be suitable or relevant to you.
In processing your personal information, we may share it with third party processors under an operator’s agreement. These include but are not limited to:
- Payment processors
- Email management and distribution tools
- Data storage providers
- Server hosts
As an operator, these service providers will not be able to process or use your data for any reason other than to provide the service as required by us. They also need to implement proper safeguards to ensure the personal information is secured at all times.
We may transfer to, and store personal information we collect about you, in countries other than South Africa. These countries may not have the same data protection laws as South Africa, and in this instance we will only transfer the information if we have consent from you, or it is necessary for the performance or conclusion of a contract between us.
Burmeisters is required to comply with various different legislative retention periods, which leads to different retention requirements. As such we have opted for the longest retention period required from us for legal purposes and apply this to all our data. Your personal information may be kept for a maximum period of up to 10 years in order for us to comply with all legal requirements.
Your legal rights
You have the following rights under the Protection of Personal Information Act:
- Request access to your personal information
- Request a correction or deletion of personal information
- Object to the processing of personal information
- Lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator
If you want to exercise any of the rights described above, or are dissatisfied with the way we have used your personal information, please contact the information officer.
Our Website uses “cookies” through which Burmeisters may automatically collect standard internet visitor usage information which may include IP address, operating system and platform, date time and length of visit, pages viewed and documents downloaded.
You are able to refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of cookies, however, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts or features of the Website.
Address & contact details
Burmeisters’ registered address: P.O. Box 668, East London 5200
Information officer contact details: Glenn Hawyes email@example.com or deputy information officer Mark Orsmond firstname.lastname@example.org
Changes to this policy